College Preparation Checklist
The following checklists outline steps that should be included in your college preparation, application and selection process throughout elementary, middle school and into high school. They are divided by year, but several of the suggestions should be done each year. Regardless of when you begin this process, you should probably complete each step. So even if you first use this resource as a junior, go back to the freshman and sophomore year lists and make sure you have done everything listed there too. There is also a list for parents to use in preparing for the college experience:
- College Preparation for Young Students
- College Preparation for the Middle School/Junior High student
- College Preparation for the Freshman
- College Preparation for the Sophomore
- College Preparation for the Junior
- College Preparation for the Senior
- College Preparation for Parents
College Planning Timelines
These timelines will help you keep track of everything you need to do to plan for college. Pick the one that applies to you and keep it handy throughout the year.
- 9th/10th Grade College Planning Timeline
- 11th Grade College Planning Timeline
- 12th Grade College Planning Timeline
- Transfer Student College Planning Timeline
- Returning Student College Planning Timeline
From writing your essay to qualifying for financial aid, there’s a lot to keep track of during the college application process. These checklists will help you stay organized and make sure you don’t miss a thing.
- Checklist: Testing Tips
- Checklist: Campus Visit
- Checklist: Writing a College Essay
- Checklist: College Interview
- Checklist: Financial Aid Application
- Checklist: Off to College
- Checklist: Managing Academics
Worksheet: College Application Checklist
This worksheet will help you manage deadlines, track your progress and complete all key details of each application you submit. View and print the Checklist.
To find all of the worksheets in the free Cappex College Fit Kit, a highly acclaimed set of worksheets, quizzes and videos to help students through the process, click here to view and print the full kit. The materials are free to anyone needing to use them.
Here are three handy application-related articles full of helpful information:
- Letters of Recommendation: Who When and How
- Ten Tips to Make Your College Application Essay Shine
- What to do After You Apply
ACT – College Checklists for the High school student